Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Faith at the Firing Line


At the end of this week, I’ll be retiring from my day job, and I’ve been looking back at some thirty-seven years in corporate communications.
Most of my work has centered in the oil, chemical, and agriculture industries; none of them lack controversy or crisis. My career has largely been spent on the firing line.
At times, it felt like the firing squad.
Government and regulatory issues. Environmental problems. Product crises. Transportation accidents. Public protests. “He said/she said” litigation. Even the short time I worked in a non-corporate environment for the St. Louis Public Schools, it was much the same. There, I dealt with restructurings, school closings, layoffs, protests at school board meetings, and teacher sick-outs.

To continue reading, please see my post today at The High Calling.

Photograph by Any Bay via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Irish poet John O'Donohue wrote a blessing that I offer as you approach the next, and perhaps most wonderful, phase of your life, Glynn:

For Retirement

This is where your life has arrived,
After all the years of effort and toil;
Look back with graciousness and thanks
On all your great and quiet achievements.

You stand on the shore of new invitation
To open your life to what is left undone;
Let your heart enjoy a different rhythm
When drawn to the wonder of other horizons.

Have the courage for a new approach to time;
Allow it to slow until you find freedom
To draw alongside the mystery you hold
And befriend your own beauty of soul.

Now is the time to enjoy your heart's desire,
To live the dreams you've waited for,
To awaken the depths beyond your work
And enter into your infinite source.

(from 'To Bless the Space Between Us')
------------

I so appreciate that you mention Janet in your post at THC.

It has been a privilege to share virtual space with you. May you enjoy a remarkable next phase.

Blessings, Glynn.

Glynn said...

Maureen - what a beautiful poem to share -- and with words that I truly needed to hear. Thank you so much for this.