Sunday, April 6, 2014

Son of Nun


I am Son of Nun, Joshua. I serve
the most high by serving
the servant. It is my call to serve
the servant. Voices awaken me
before the dawn; I do not
understand the cloud, not yet,
although I know its composition,
its essence, its ability to sear
the soul. I stand outside
its envelope; I bow at the tent door,
facing outward, facing away.
It is my service to face away; I am
a spear, a sword, a shield. The cloud
is next to me; I hear the murmuring
of the voice. The cloud is behind me,
embracing the servant. I dare not fix
my gaze upon it,
on its brilliance.


Photograph by Sheila Dane via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

serve by serving the servant
that caught me by surprise

diana said...

Love this. I've always been struck by Joshua's faithfulness at the door of the tent - perfect capture. Thank you.