Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Update on My Twitter Problems

Yesterday, I posted about the problems I was having with Twitter, specifically with my main account having been deemed “spammy” by Twitter’s algorithm. “Spammy” is different from “spam,” in that spam is blocked and “spammy” is only cordoned off from the use of hashtags and showing up in Google search results.

I don’t particularly care about the Google search results; but the hashtag block is a real problem for participating in our Twitter poetry jams. There’s one tonight, hosted at TweetSpeak Poetry at 9:30 p.m. eastern time. You can participate directly from there or from Twitter, Tweetdeck, HootSuite, etc. (just make sure you use the #tsptry hashtag) (the one I can’t use).

The developer of the TweetSpeak Twitter application learned what my problem was from a developer at Twitter. I’m glad they told someone, although it would have been helpful to have also told me. The developer requested that my account be fixed, but said I would likely have to contact Twitter directly (which customers like me can only do via the U.S. post office). In the meantime, I could create a new Twitter account, so I could at least participate in the poetry jams.

I created a new account yesterday. I tweeted it a total of five times. And then I discovered this morning that it, too, has been classified the same way as my main account. I could tweet, but I can’t use the hashtag and I can’t use the application developed for TweetSpeak poetry.

The Twitter algorithm didn’t do that. Not that fast. And not for five tweets, which went to a total of nine followers. And the new account worked with the hashtag yesterday.

Not to mention the fact that my Twitter account for work functions just fine and is able to use the hashtag with no problem. I just can’t use my work account for poetry jams.

So I have now sent off a letter to Twitter via the post office. Twitter should receive it by Thursday or Friday. We’ll see what, if any, kind of response I get, and how long it takes.

Now I’m going to go do something productive. But I really hate to miss the poetry jam.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really truly stinks, Glynn. :(

Kathleen Overby said...

Everybody RT this: Dear @ev @twitter please let @glynn_poet use #tsptry. Urgent. Asap. We'll boycott twitter if you don't listen to our plea.

Billy Coffey said...

Wow. Isn't it amazing how something designed to bring people closer together can be such a pain?

Tripp Frohlichstein said...

The most amazing thing is that in this Internet age, you have to use snail mail to contact an internet communication company. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

if you're not going, i'm not going.