Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Home Again


We spent the last week in New Orleans. The daughter of good friends of ours got married, and it was a great “New Orleans wedding,” this one held at Houmas House, a plantation home on the River Road upriver from New Orleans. We also got to see family, and partook of the four basic food groups: fried shrimp poboys, fried oyster poboys, muffalettas, and beignets (French Quarter doughnuts). I also worked in a couple of different crab dishes. And the café au lait, oh, boy, the café au lait…

Last Wednesday, we were in the Louisiana State Museum in the Cabildo on Jackson Square, when I started being “direct messaged” on my phone like Armageddon was underway. The reality was that my Twitter account had been hijacked (along with a lot of other people’s) and used to alert people how to make an extra $300. I was hours from being able to access a computer, so I emailed a colleague and asked her to change my password, which she quickly did, and that was that. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

The wedding at Houmas House was fantastic. The ceremony started at four and was held in the front yard of the plantation home, with the home as the backdrop (see the photo above). The weather was absolutely spectacular: sunny, unseasonably cool, a little windy but outstanding. The clouds floating past the home, framed by gigantic live oaks, made the entire scene look like a painting.

After the ceremony, we walked through the house and then to a back room, where the guests were given a cup of crawfish-corn-curry bisque on the way to the cocktail hour. I could have stayed right there with the bisque and died happy. We sat drinking wine around a fountained pool, then on to dinner and the official reception. Incredible event and an incredible place to have a wedding.

We’ve known the parents of the bride for (gulp) 39 years. My wife and the mother of the bride met their first day of college at LSU, and were bridesmaids in each other’s wedding. Last November, they flew to Phoenix for our oldest son’s wedding, and we were able to reciprocate this past week with their daughter’s.

It was a great week.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What a lovely week you had. A beautiful setting, great food, wonderful friends. . . you had it all.

Our New York City trip (minus the cold I brought bacK) was full of art: Museum of Arts & Design, Guggenheim, a Jack Tworkov exhibit in an office building, Cooper Hewitt. And good food. Plus I got to spend time with my son. I think I had it good, too.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a very thoughtful and well planned wedding. so good that you were able to go. the food sounds delightfully tasty. what a great place!